Director of Finance (posted 4/3/2015)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: CEO
The USS Hornet Museum is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to inspiring people of all ages to experience the legacy of naval history, science, and space technology. The USS Hornet is a registered state and national historic landmark and the administration offices are located aboard the USS Hornet.
The Director of Finance ensures that all financial data in the accounting and budgeting system is timely and accurate. This position plays a vital role ensuring the integrity of the financial data related to obligations, payments, and revenues used for the creation of the financial statements, budgets. Maximizes the return on financial assets by adhering to Museum financial policies and establishing procedures, and reporting systems. Ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions. Oversees and conducts cost and general accounting, accounts receivable/accounts payable, employee payroll and benefits, budget, and risk management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist CEO in financial planning, analysis and strategy.
- Prepares and monitors Museum current fiscal year budget.
- Provides and presents Museum financial reports to CEO, Museum Department Heads, Board of Trustees, governmental agencies and support groups as required.
- Develop and monitor internal controls and procedures.
- Manage external audit-Form 990.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisors, and filing financial reports. Advises management of impending actions and potential risks.
- Semi-monthly payroll processing for Paychex.
- Month End closing and financial reporting.
- Full Cycle accounts payable and revenue recognition
- Managing cash account and reserve balances.
- Manages department budgets and controls expenses effectively.
- Acts as liaison for contracted service providers as appropriate.
- Participates in contract negotiations and maintains contracts as appropriate.
- Keeps up-to-date on information and technology affecting functional area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
- Other duties as defined by CEO.
- MA in Accounting or MBA, preferred.
- 10+ years experience in non-profit financial management.
- Proven proficiency with QuickBooks, Windows 7 Professional Applications and advanced Excel.
- Knowledge of GAAP and applicable laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, and federal, state and local government regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Problem solver and team player.
If you are ready for a change, looking for an opportunity / challenge, and would like to be a part of a growing Finance team aboard the USS Hornet Museum, we would like to meet with you.
Send your resume along with your salary requirements to:
Live-Aboard Program Staff (posted 2015-01-28)
The overnight Live-Aboard program is accepting applications to join our crew from qualified individuals.
Our program mission is to educate and inspire while sharing the legacy of the USS Hornet with over 10,000 participants each year! Job responsibilities include greeting and welcoming program guests, giving directions, maintaining safety of guests while aboard, interpreting various tour locations for guests and educating them about the ship’s history, and providing guidance when necessary.
Qualifications needed include being comfortable with public speaking, enjoying interacting with a diversity of guests, including children, and an interest in military history or science and technology.
This position requires the ability to see, hear, and lift objects of up to 15 pounds, ability to climb steep stairs, and reasonable fitness for mobility on a ship. Part-time positions available. Applicants must be available weekend evenings.
Visitor / Sales Associates (posted 1/27/2015)
The USS Hornet Museum is seeking part-time, on-call basis Visitor / Sales Associates to work in our Admissions Department, Ship Store and operate our simulator rides.
We are looking for a few good people who enjoy working with the general public greeting and interacting with our visitors that can provide excellent customer service, and work in our retail operations of the Ship Store.
You must be a team player, with a “can do” attitude, able to work weekends,
some evenings and during patriotic holidays.
If you are interested in working aboard the USS Hornet Museum,
send your resume to Hornetjobs@uss-hornet.org.
No phone calls please.
Volunteer Positions Available
Overnight Live-Aboard Program
Contact: Volunteers at (510) 521-8448 x 243 or Email: Volunteers@uss-hornet.org