Help Preserve a Heritage of Excellence...
USS HORNET MUSEUM
Make a Difference… Help Preserve History… Join Our Crew…
Become a Hornet Volunteer!
Become part of the ongoing history and legacy of the aircraft carrier USS Hornet, an American icon of World War II, the Vietnam War, and the Apollo 11 & Apollo 12 recovery missions. Help preserve the USS Hornet Museum, a national treasure, for future generations by joining our volunteer staff. We need dedicated individuals willing to share their time, skills, experience, labor, and/or knowledge to maintain this fine ship. Note that some areas may require climbing ladders and maneuvering narrow passageways.
The USS Hornet Museum depends upon the service of its volunteers for success. Our volunteers become shipmates who willingly and actively participate in the staffing and maintenance of this historic aircraft carrier.
Our volunteers take on the privilege, responsibility, and commitment to serve. To remain “active,” volunteers are expected to serve a minimum of 18 volunteer hours per month.
Volunteer Opportunity Areas
- Docents (Tour Guides)
- Safety & Security Division
- Ship Restoration
- Hornet Community Events
- Live-Aboard Programs
- Aircraft Restoration
- Education (Instructors & more)
- Museum Department
- Museum Department (Administrative)
- Communications (Radio Club)
New Volunteer Orientation (NVO)
Who May Apply
- Open to ages 18 and older (Docents and Security applicants, minimum age 21)
- Must be physically able to respond to emergency situations
- All applicants must pass a background check in order to serve as a Volunteer
- Usually held the first Saturday of each month from 9:30–11:30am
- Check our website Upcoming Events calendar for schedule and possible changes
- Must sign up in advance
- Private NVO by advance appointment only
- Application available at the Security Desk
For more information and to make reservations:
Call (510) 521-8448 ext. 243 or Email Volunteers@uss-hornet.org
Our goal is to educate and inspire people of all ages to reflect on the challenges of the past and the possibilities of the future.