- Forward Auxiliary Emergency Generator used to generate electricity when
HORNET’s engines aren’t running or dockside power isn’t available.
- CONFLAG (firefighting) station. There is one in each Hangar Bay.
- HORNET was one of three aircraft carriers equipped with an experimental Cross
Deck Catapult during World War II.
- Roll-Up Doors to let fresh air in and keep out water and spray.
- “Special Weapons” Bomb Elevator (16,000 lb.) used to transport weapons from
the Magazine to the Hangar Deck and Flight Deck. HORNET’s scoreboard is located
above the large door.
- Projection Room (above) for showing movies on a screen near Elevator 1.
- Fire Division Door. There are two which divide the Hangar Deck into three Bays.
- Ticket Desk and Ship’s Store.
- Exit, Safety Station, Lost and Found.
- Hangar Bay Control.
- Ladders and stationary Escalator UP to the Flight Deck.
- Apollo & Splashdown (upper level) Exhibits.
- Apollo Capsule used for water-egress training.
- Mobile Quarantine Facility Trailer (MQF) used for Apollo 14.
- Neil Armstrong and Apollo 11 Crew’s footprints after their return from the moon.
- Ship’s Theatre.
- Plankowners’ Wall. Original contributors to the saving of the USS HORNET.
- Flight Simulator. Experience the thrill of a Desert Storm mission that includes an
aerial dogfight. Extra fee required.
- Restrooms (Heads).
- Gedunk. Soda and snack machines.
- 442nd Regimental Combat Team/Military Intelligence Service Exhibit (upper level).
- Fantail and a great view of San Francisco (fog permitting).
Colored Pipes: Located throughout the Hangar Deck are painted Red (for sea
water to fight fires), Green (for fog-foam to fight liquid fires) and Purple (for pumping
Spaces Currently Open to the Public
( * = docent-led only)
- Quarterdeck – where officers and dignitaries entered the ship
- Hangar Bays 1, 2, and 3 – where aircraft are stored and repaired
- Jet Engine Repair Shop
- Sheetmetal Shop
- Aviation Electrical Shop
- Fo’c’sle (01 Level) – anchor room
- Secondary Conning Station (02 Level) – ship could be operated here if primary bridge was disabled
- Forward Emergency Diesel Generator Room
- Gunfire Control Room * – controls the 5-inch gun mounts
- Ammunition Ready Service Room * – ammunition handling room
- Junior Officer Staterooms (JOB)
Gallery Deck: *
- Captain's In-Port Cabins – used to entertain higher-ranking officers, presidents, and celebrities
- Admiral's In-Port Cabins – HORNET was often the flagship of a task force
- Radio Central - sponsored by USS Hornet Amateur Radio Club, NB6GC
For a comprehensive virtual tour, purchase Grey Ghost: The Story of the Aircraft Carrier Hornet.