On Monday, September 11, USS Hornet will observe the 16th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in a variety of ways.
- In our thanks, all First Responders will receive Free Admission to Hornet this Sunday through Saturday, September 10th-16th, in appreciation of their service.
- Ringing Hornet’s Bell to commence brief moments of silence at 9:59, 10:03 and 10:28, and 10:50 AM to mark the moments when the South Tower of the World Trade Center collapsed, Flight 93 crashed, the North Tower collapsed, and the five stories of part of the Pentagon collapsed, respectively. We will be sounding the bell during the times that these events happened as it was felt on the East Coast, even though, due to time zones, news of the events on September 11, 2001 reached the West Coast early that morning. The bell is located near Admissions, where you enter the ship.
- Thanking First Responders – We will have a card making station in Hangar Bay 3 so you or your children can make thank you cards for our local fire and police departments. Feel free to bring a card if you prefer.
- Flag at Half Mast – Our flag will be lowered to half-mast.
- Remembering the Fallen – On the stage in Hangar Bay 3, a monitor will display the names of the brave men, women and children we lost that day.
- Fantail Flower Toss – During the day, guests are invited to bring a flower to drop in the water off our fantail as a personal moment of silent reflection.