The USS Hornet Museum invites you to join the crew!
Become part of the ongoing history and legacy of the aircraft carrier USS Hornet, an American icon of World War II, the Vietnam War, and the Apollo 11 & Apollo 12 recovery missions. Help preserve the USS Hornet Museum, a national treasure, for future generations by joining our volunteer staff. We need dedicated individuals willing to share their time, skills, experience, labor, and/or knowledge to maintain this fine ship.
Please note that some areas and certain volunteer positions require extensive walking, climbing ladders, and maneuvering narrow passageways.
The USS Hornet Museum depends upon the service of a dedicated volunteer crew for success. Our volunteers become shipmates who actively participate in the staffing and maintenance of this historic aircraft carrier.
Volunteer Opportunity Areas
- Development Intern -Download Job Description-
- Tourism Liaison Officer -Download Job Description-
- Docents (Tour Guides)
- Safety & Security Division
- Ship Restoration
- Hornet Community Events (requires traveling to outside events)
- Aircraft Restoration
- Education (Instructors & more)
- Museum Department
- Communications (Radio Club)
New Volunteer Orientation (NVO)
Who May Apply
- Open to ages 18 and older
- Military service appreciated but not required–our volunteers have diverse skill sets and come from all walks of life
- All applicants must pass a background check in order to serve as a Volunteer
- Usually held the first Saturday of each month from 9:30–11:30am. Please see our Calendar to confirm a date.
- Must sign up in advance for NVO sessions
- Private NVO are by advance appointment only
- Application available at the Security Desk