The USS Hornet Sea, Air & Space Museum depends upon the service of a dedicated volunteer crew for success. Our volunteers become shipmates who actively participate in the staffing and maintenance of this historic aircraft carrier.
Become part of the ongoing history and legacy of the aircraft carrier USS Hornet, an American icon of World War II, the Vietnam War, and the Apollo 11 & Apollo 12 recovery missions. Help preserve the USS Hornet Museum, a national treasure, for future generations by joining our volunteer staff. We need dedicated individuals willing to share their time, skills, experience, labor, and/or knowledge to maintain this fine ship.
Please note that some areas and certain volunteer positions require extensive walking, climbing ladders, and maneuvering narrow passageways.
New Volunteer Orientation (NVO)
The first top for all interested volunteers is our New Volunteer Orientation (or “NVO”)!
Who May Apply
- Open to ages 18 and older
- Military service appreciated but not required–our volunteers have diverse skill sets and come from all walks of life
- All applicants must pass a background check in order to serve as a Volunteer
Volunteer Opportunity Areas
- Docents (Tour Guides)Safety & Security Division
- Ship Restoration
- Hornet Community Events (requires traveling to outside events)
- Aircraft Restoration
- Education (Instructors & more)
- Museum Department
- Communications (Radio Club)
Unique Volunteer Opportunity Areas
For the full internship description, please click HERE.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Donation processing in RetailPro
- Donation data entry in the Past Perfect (or Salesforce)
- Donation acknowledgment letters
- Answering donor phone and email queries
- Producing Reports
- Assisting with Development event.
- development tasks as assigned
- Weekly Calendar of events update
- development tasks as assigned
- Membership transactions, processing
- Membership data entry in Past Perfect
- Membership fulfillment
- Membership phone sales and inquiries
- Assisting with Membership events
- membership tasks as assigned
For the full volunteer position, please click HERE.
This position is the USS Hornet’s representative to tourism, visitors from the San Francisco area. The San Francisco Bay Area is the second largest tourist destination in the US. We need to have strong relationships with the tourism industry in the city. This position will be pivotal in increasing visitors, membership and revenue to the museum. The position will entail the following:
- Meet with Hotel concierges across the area including San Francisco, Marin and Peninsula. Promote the new Water Shuttle service.
- Meet with tourism officials and tour services.
- Attend tourism industry events and mixers and represent the USS Hornet
- Staff the Pier in San Francisco’s Embarcadero where the Water Shuttle will dock. Set up sign and brochures. Set regular hours and times.
- Speak with tourists, answer questions and engage the public.
- In coordination with staff on the Hornet speak to tourism websites.
- Wear USS Hornet shirt, jacket and other gear to represent.
- Restock our materials in hotels across the area.
- Attend conventions when appropriate