The USS Hornet is a ship that affected the course of history. Chart your group’s course to Alameda today! Tours of the ship are mostly self-guided with docents stationed throughout the ship to answer questions. Following a brief orientation, visitors are free to explore the many passageways, compartments, and decks of this famous ship.
The USS Hornet Museum is sure to provide an unforgettable experience for your group:
- See historic aircraft and exhibits of WWII, Vietnam, and the Apollo moon missions.
- Walk through Officers' Country, Crew’s Berthing, Medical Spaces, Pilot Ready Rooms, and other spaces as you imagine what life was like on a floating city.
- Sense the drama of carrier landings as you peer from the towering captain's bridge.
- You may choose to enjoy a catered lunch in an Officers' Mess.
Permanently anchored at the former Naval Air Station in Alameda, the ship is open daily, 10:00am – 5:00pm. There is ample free parking for automobiles and tour buses.
Frequently Asked Questions
Download a reservation form (.pdf) or contact the Education Department by phone at (510) 521-8448 x224 or email: email@example.com
Please download the following Tour Tips & Safety Rules (.pdf) to share with your group.
Group rates are available for 15 or more people with advance reservation:
Adults $12.00, Seniors (65+) $10.00, Military & Students w/ ID $10.00, Youth (5-17) $6.00
Group Leader & Bus Drivers; Children 4 years and under No Charge
Enhance your group’s experience by selecting any of the following options:
Most of our docents are veterans of the USS Hornet or other aircraft carriers. Let them escort your group throughout the ship and share their personal stories.
$30.00/hr per docent, minimum 2 hours (1 docent suggested for every 20 people)
Flight Simulator Rides
Experience the thrill of being launched from the flight deck of an aircraft carrier in an F/A-18 jet fighter on a desert strike assignment.
Special group rate $4.50/person per ride with advance reservation
Lunch in the Officers’ Mess
Have lunch waiting for you in an Officers’ Mess! The USS Hornet Museum can make special arrangements to provide lunch for your group. With advance reservations, catered lunches are provided in an Officers’ Mess with a one-hour room reservation. Please refer to lunch order form for options and to place orders.
Please note that the final count for lunches must be made one week in advance of your visit. If a cancellation is made less than one week bfore your visit date, you will still be required to pay for the lunch order.
For reservations or additional information about the USS Hornet Museum and its exceptional programs, please call the Education Department at (510) 521-8448 x224 or download our tour packet.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. How far in advance is a reservation needed for a private docent and lunch?
- A. All reservations are required at least one (1) week before your planned visit. Private docents and lunches need to be arranged and scheduled for your tour.
- Q. What parking is available and can a Tour Bus or Car Club park on the main pier?
- A. The USS Hornet Museum has a huge parking lot adjacent to the pier where you may park for free. If you have a tour bus, the bus is allowed to drop off in front of the ship, but it must return to the lot and park there. If you have a car club, you may make arrangements in advance to park your cars on the pier in front of the ship.
- Q. What are the tour rates?
- A. The reduced admission rate is Adults $12.00, Seniors (65+) $10.00, Military & Students w/ ID $10.00, Youth (5-17) $6.00 If you are confined to a wheelchair or unable to climb ship ladders, admission is free.
- Q. What happens after I fill out or make a reservation?
- A. After you complete your reservation form, you will receive an estimated tour invoice via email. The payment is due upon arrival, but you are more than welcome to pay in advance if you choose. We do except all major credit cards. Currently checks are not accepted.
- Q. How do I organize my group when we arrive?
- A. When you arrive, it is recommended that your group meets on the pier and you enter the ship as one group. Since you have a tour invoice, we require one form of payment from the tour leader.
- Q. How long is the tour and how much are private docent rates?
- A. The basic tour is called “Tour at Sea” and the average time for this program is two (2) hours. You may add a private docent to your tour at the docent rate of $60.00 per docent; the ratio is 1:25.
- Q. How early can we arrive?
- A. The ship opens at 10:00am; however, you can visit in the afternoon as well. After your guided tour, you are welcome to stay as late as you want. We do close at 5:00pm.
- Q. How do I add the Flight Simulator?
- A. To add the Flight Simulator to your tour, it is an additional $4.50 per head. All of this can be added to your invoice. The ride is six (6) minutes long and holds fifteen (15) people at a time. These arrangements need to be made before your group’s arrival.
- Q. I am disabled. What are my options?
- A. For information on disabled access please visit: http://www.uss-hornet.org/visit/access/