Tourism Liaison Officer
(Commission Based Internship)
This position is the USS Hornet’s representative to tourism, visitors from the San Francisco area. The San Francisco Bay Area is the second largest tourist destination in the US. We need to have strong relationships with the tourism industry in the city. This position will be pivotal in increasing visitors, membership and revenue to the museum. The position will entail the following:
- Meet with Hotel concierges across the area including San Francisco, Marin and Peninsula. Promote the new Water Shuttle service.
- Meet with tourism officials and tour services.
- Attend tourism industry events and mixers and represent the USS Hornet
- Staff the Pier in San Francisco’s Embarcadero where the Water Shuttle will dock. Set up sign and brochures. Set regular hours and times. (See below)
- Speak with tourists, answer questions and engage the public.
- In coordination with staff on the Hornet speak to tourism websites.
- Wear USS Hornet shirt, jacket and other gear to represent the museum.
- Restock our materials in hotels across the area.
- Attend conventions when appropriate
This position will answer to the Chief Development Officer and will be part of the Marketing Department.
- Knowledgeable about the USS Hornet Museum
- Strong communication skills, ability to communicate under pressure.
- Multilingual if possible
- Good networking and record keeping skills.
- Good phone skills and Customer relations skills
Hours and Times:
The position requires working Saturday and Sunday. There is some flexibility. The tentative hours of work are 9:30am-5pm. The position will involve being at the dock at least 30 minutes prior to each departure and interfacing with hotels, tourism in the used hours.
This is a commission based position
This position is based on filling 40 person shuttles three times a day leaving San Francisco for the USS Hornet Museum in Alameda, CA. This is an 18 minute shuttle ride.
Commission per boat comes into effect when a minimum of 20 guests are on each shuttle. It’s a 10% commission on each paying passenger.
The Museum will reimburse a Clipper Card for this position for museum use.
The shuttle will leave Pier 15 in San Francisco’s Embarcadero for an 18 min trip to the dock directly adjacent to the USS Hornet. Starting October 7th, 2016
General Maintenance Engineer
Duties and Responsibilities:
Directly responsible for the performance of the following duties as directed by the Chief Engineer and/or the Facilities/Engineering Manager:
- Upkeep and maintenance of museum spaces particularly public access routes, ship’s sanitary facilities; messing and berthing spaces, staff and volunteer work spaces.
- Perform routine and scheduled preservation work of the ship’s hull, museum exhibit spaces, messing and berthing and public tour routes.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and emergent repairs to the ship’s sanitary facilities, hull structure and foundations, and designated auxiliary equipment. Perform duties related to the ship’s buoyancy, list and trim including scheduled and unscheduled tank soundings, tank filling to correct list and trim and routine inspection of tanks and voids.
- Operate the following weight bearing and handling equipment: forklift, scissor lift, and man lift. Additionally operate the following equipment: aft bomb elevator, B & A Crane.
- Assist Events Department, Education Department and Live Aboard Department in setup, on load/offload, clean-up of scheduled private and public events, and fundraising events.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Must be certified with the following: asbestos and lead worker certification, forklift, scissor lift and man lift certification.
- Minimum 4-5 years of direct manual labor required.
- Experience working with Senior-Level Executives; proven leadership capabilities.
- Excellent verbal & written communications skills.
- Strong partnership-building skills.
- Must have a high level of organization, attention to detail, and ability to plan and meet deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems in an ever-changing environment; high degree of flexibility and adaptability.
- Must have an open, positive attitude and enjoy working in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment where a diversity of opinion is valued and encouraged.
- Adherence to the Hornet’s strategic goals and core values a must.
- Must be able to deal effectively, politely, and interact productively with all types of people from all types of backgrounds and experience and in all types of difficult situations.
Visitor Services/Sales Associates
The USS Hornet Museum is seeking part-time, on-call basis Visitor Services/Sales Associates to work in our Admissions Department, Ship Store and operate our simulator rides.
We are looking for a few good people who enjoy working with the general public greeting and interacting with our visitors that can provide excellent customer service, and work in our retail operations of the Ship Store.
You must be a team player, with a “can do” attitude, able to work weekends,
some evenings and during patriotic holidays.
If you are interested in working aboard the USS Hornet Museum,
send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
Part-Time STEM Educational Instructors
Are you a Retired Teacher? The USS Hornet Sea, Air, & Space Museum’s Education Department is seeking part-time instructors to teach our STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) programs. The STEM to Stern program serves local schools and is a field trip designed for visiting grades k-12.
- Teaching background, experience working with children
- Strong mathematics or science background with knowledge of physics preferred
- Available for either/both week day and weekend instruction
- Must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Prior experience with museums a plus, but not required
- Position perfect for retired teachers with flexible hours
STEM Educational Instructors have opportunities to teach the STEM to Stern programs both onboard the USS Hornet Sea, Air, & Space Museum to visiting student field trips, and off-site in classrooms at local schools. *Please note, these classes do not have a set regular schedule. They are scheduled by reservation during regular business hours. A flexible schedule is a must.
To learn about the USS Hornet’s historic role in naval aviation and the Apollo 11 & 12 lunar landing missions, visit www.uss-hornet.org For questions and resume submissions, please contact: email@example.com